Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Fast Peppers with a Rum Finish

February 10, 2016 5.5"x8.5" on Watercolor paper
Palette: Raw Umber, B+W

It  has been about a month and a half since I began my daily paintings, and a bit longer since I've begun regular painting with gouache, and I have realized more than once that I do better with flexibility. Doing a full, composed, beautiful painting every day makes me a little stressed out (and that does not translate into good artwork). So, I'm loosening my guidelines on myself. If I need to take a day off, I will. If I paint, it is okay to do a study with a specific goal in mind or a more complete painting.

For this vase of stones, the goal was a quick value study. 

February 10 & 11, 2016 5.5"x8.5" on Watercolor paper
Palette: Flame Red, Chinese Orange, Terre Verte, B+W

For my two pepper studies, the goal was to quickly capture the form of a bell pepper from angles I had not yet painted. And I mean quick! They were both completed in less than a half hour, which is always a challenge for me.

February 13, 2016 4"x4" on Claybord
Palette: Ultramarine Deep, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, B+W
This painting began with the composition for February 15th, below, but the stress I referred to above was getting to me and I kept making obvious mistakes. I couldn't focus well, so I pulled out a fresh claybord and simplified the composition. Working quicker let me knock this painting of the shot of rum out fairly quickly and happily. 

February 15, 2016 4"x4" on Aquabord
Palette: Ultramarine Deep, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, B+W

A few of the proportions of this were a bit wonky, but it was much more fun to paint the second time around. The box with the shot glass on top was tricky, as the lid is off center. I could have happily spent another three hours on just the bottle of rum. I think it is safe to say that I'll return to the bottle for a longer study!

No comments:

Post a Comment